How to confuse your users, a guideline by MS:
1. Create a new modern design language, call it „Metro„, don’t check if this may be a problem, later rename it to „modern design“.
2. Create UI design guidelines for it
4. Suddenly move away from it, ignore you own guidelines from (2)
5. Heavily copy „burger menu“ from Android in WP10 preview. Ignore that this menu is not accessible with the same hand that is holding the phone.
6. Introduce a new control for „burger menu“ in windows 10, call it „split view„.
8. Ignore the feedback
You may also take a look at this article, discussing the same thing.