Sometimes i get emails with the suggestion: „Please add a graphical representation of the current week to ‚Week View‚, like the one that MS Outlook has“.
While i agree that a graphical week view like outlook makes sense on a large pc/notebook/tablet screen i don’t think it’s a good idea on a smartphone display.
I want to compare the view of the current week of my app ‚Week View‘ with another app that uses a graphical week representation so you can judge yourself.
This is how a week is visualized in ‚Week View‚ (please click on the image to enlarge it):
My goals for creating the ‚week view‘ were
- Provide a clean, easy to read view of your appointments
- The text of all appointments should be readable
- A user should see all appointments of the week, without the need for scrolling
- If you have more appointments that overlap in time (for example from a shared calendar) they should both be readable
- Allow the user to see ‚free time‘ between his appointments. This can be done in the ’small week overview‘ on the top, left side
- Support for portrait and landscape view (the screenshot is in portrait view)
- View details with 1 tap (simply tap on the appointment to see it’s details)
This is the ‚portrait view‘, a ‚landscape view‘ is supported too of course. By tapping on a ‚day‘ you get to a ‚day view‘ where you can see details from the appointments on this day or add/edit/delete appointments.
Now lets look at an app that uses a graphical representation, like outlook does. There are some of them in the marketplace, i have chosen ‚VsysCalendar WP8‘ for this comparison.
Here is, how a graphical representation of the same week looks like in ‚VsysCalendar WP8‘:
Important: This is only a comparison of a graphical week view with the view that is used by ‚Week View‘. This is not a comparison of 2 apps.
In my personal opinion the graphical week view has some disadvantages
- Not all appointments of the current week are visible, for example all appointments that start before 2pm are not visible on the screenshot
- The user has to scroll up and down to see all appointments of the current week
- The all day appointments are not completely visible
- The subject text of the appointments is truncated. This gets even worse, when overlapping appointments exist, like on the screenshot below.
Can you see your appointments here? 😉
(This screenshot is NOT from ‚Week View‘)
So this is the reason why at the moment creating a graphical representation of the current week is not a high priority task for me. If you have a different opinion or other suggestions, please let me know! 🙂